1. INDUSTRY RESEARCH POSTER
In preparation for your career in communication design or other creative profession you are required to build a professional design profile.
Initial research and development:
1. Identify a sector of the industry that best fits your design interests and abilities
2. Conduct research into the sector
3. Design a poster to display your statement about yourself as a designer.
For example, you might have an interest in publication design and an expertise in typography. Your investigation would include:
• an overview of the publishing sector: books and magazines; web publishing, and so on.
• studios that identify themselves as publication design enterprises
• studios that have a design sensibility that matches your own
• core competencies required in the area [review job ads for expectations]
• peak professional organisations [such as AGDA, ICOGRADA]
• key issues within the sector, such as employment growth, new developments, technologies, design leaders, styles, and so on.
The same would apply if you want to present yourself and an illustrator, photographer, packaging designer, or as a studio [generalist] designer.
You may choose two areas of design activity to research
The deliverables in this course give you an opportunity to benchmark yourself before entering the competitive employment field. Your overall performance, attention to detail, reliability and manner will be evaluated within the course [see Performance, below].
You will be introduced to a number of design practitioners who will reflect on their own careers and practices and discuss the issues in contemporary design, and outline how the industry operates in Australia and the Asia Pacific region.
Staff and practitioners will review your presentations and provide feedback on your performance in the course. You may be required to consult with staff and practitioners outside of class time. External skills building and relevant work experience are encouraged.
1. DISPLAY POSTER
Week 6: Monday 12 April, 4 pm.
2. INDUSTRY NIGHT
Attendance at the Industry Night is complusory
Week 6: Monday 12 April 6pm
NB: PERFORMANCE is weighted at 50% for GRAP 2258.
PERFORMANCE is your ability to demonstrate a professional approach to ALL activities in the course. This includes participation, timely delivery of all specified assignments, and demonstrated understanding of the professional design context.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS [50%]:Professional behaviour Self sufficiency/Independence Presentation Project management
THINK is your ability to generate a creative concept, based on appropriate research and development.
THINK INDICATORS [30%]Design research Communication strategies
FORM is your ability to produce a compelling design outcome to a set budget and deadline.
FORM INDICATORS [20%]Aesthetic Use of design elements Crafting
LATE SUBMISSION PENALTY: 5% is deducted from the overall mark each day it is late after the specified submission deadline